Chief Financial Officer (CFO) - Remote
**This is a remote position.**
We are seeking a CFO to drive our financial leadership and be responsible for all financial planning, analysis and reporting as well as serve as primary point of contact to all key internal and external stakeholders. The CFO will implement real-time financial reporting and long term business planning to hold the leadership team accountable for performance. The CFO will also be responsible for all financial aspects related to fundraising, lending relationships and potential M&A transactions.
The ideal candidate will have experience in establishing and routinely reporting on appropriate key performance indicators for all areas of the businesses. In addition to being responsible for developing, executing, and evaluating financial initiatives, the CFO will be involved in guiding the strategic finance vision of the brand across all consumer touch points as well as implementing the right systems and processes to help scale this organization.
WHO YOU ARE
You’re a fun and engaging thought leader who’s looking for an opportunity to help build and grow within a dynamic and fast-moving company. You possess strong leadership skills and an ability to see “the big picture” and you understand what it takes to be successful in an entrepreneurial organization. You are comfortable leading teams and presenting to executive management, and you are equally comfortable “rolling up your sleeves” and building a decision support model or reviewing invoices.
In this role, you’ll be a trusted advisor to the CEO and the Board. You’ll play a dual role that consists of a) managing specific, existing operational and financial functions, and b) provide financial modelling and reporting to the Board and investors.
You will have the ability to create the financial model to support continued growth and diversification. You’ll play a critical role in the creation, execution and support of the company’s strategy, and you’ll provide broad financial oversight and trusted advice. You’ll be expected to anticipate issues and have an impact on management decisions.
You will interact extensively with multiple departments and will translate product strategy into measurable financial reporting to improve our target setting for revenue, margin and operating investment levels. Translating business knowledge into consumable, scalable, financial models will be a fundamental attribute of this role. You will need to ensure the financial models reflect an aligned approach to pricing strategies and margin goals across product, sales, pricing, and operations.
You should have an understanding of consumer facing, marketing driven organizations as well as experience with consumer receivables. Strong accounting and risk management background is a requirement. Experience in the education or health and wellness spaces are an added plus.
Driven, metrics oriented leaders with an ability to problem solve and collaborate are a must.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead fundraising, lending, banking and auditing relationships
- Partner with SVP of Operations and General Counsel to prepare board presentations.
- Establish annual budgeting and headcount planning process
- Establish key related to cash management, real time financial activity, financial performance, cash inflows vs projected and key financial ratios
- Work with HR to standardize compensation policies and process
- Analyze potential acquisition and joint venture partners
- Set key accounting policy related to revenue recognition, curriculum capitalization and lifetime program access
- Partner with accounting to formalize and streamline the company’s monthly, quarterly and annual close and reporting processes.
- Oversee contract negotiation and management including those related to merchant services, software, payroll and benefits providers, live events and insurance.
- Partner with functional leads to analyze and improve expense performance, identify forecast risks and opportunities, and evaluate capital expenditure requests.
- Optimize financial operations and risk management to ensure scalable AR tracking and dunning management
- Mentor and help develop a finance and accounting team capable of supporting rapid growth.
- Conduct appropriate ad hoc analyses and financial modeling as necessary to support key business decisions, program pricing and margin analysis.
- Implement technology to improve compliance and efficiency, including potential cloud based FP&A software
- 10+ years of Finance and FP&A experience, ideally at a medium sized high growth company in the education or service industry. Experience with an early stage company that has gone through early stage VC and institutional investment rounds preferred.
- CPA and/or MBA preferred.
- Knowledge of GAAP, preparing and managing P&L, balance sheet, and cash flow statements, preferably for a consumer facing, marketing driven organization.
- Strong business acumen with prior experience in accounting and risk management. Experience in for profit education or health and wellness preferred.
- Must be an analytical, strategic thinker with the ability to effectively collaborate across all levels of the organization
- Hands on willingness and ability to work at both a detailed and strategic level within a lean organization.
- Experience with building business, revenue and cashflow models as well as managing consumer receivables.
- Broad exposure of business functions beyond finance with the ability to create executive level financial dashboards and KPIs as well as Board reporting
- Advanced understanding of accounting and interrelationship of financial statements
- Highly proficient in Excel
- Ability to collaborate with financial and non-financial business partners
- Proven track record of creating and implementing financial reporting processes with experience in significantly improving financial results.
- Successful experience in an entrepreneurial and high growth environment
- Prior experience in a remote environment preferred
ABOUT EMPOWERED EDUCATION
Empowered Education is a premier education provider of online training programs and live events that trains coaches, practitioners, and other passionate changemakers to help others thrive in health and life. The parent company of Health Coach Institute (https://www.healthcoachinstitute.com) and Functional Nutrition Alliance (https://fxnutrition.com)—the leading online schools for wellness coaches and health practitioners. Empowered is a company built on a metrics-driven remote workforce platform with 200+ employees throughout the US and the around the globe.